Sunday, March 18, 2012

Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop

I think this book is an excellent example of what adults think kids SHOULD like in books. All the Lessons are very heavy-handed and moralistic. The main character forever self-examines all his mistakes and regrets them earnestly. Everything this kid did was earnest! There was never a moment of silliness or sarcasm!
I do not buy that this kid is ten. No way! He comes across as years younger than ten. Perhaps a believable seven?
I think getting an intermediate grade boy to read this all the way through would be incredibly difficult.
There is NO humor. None! I didn't even realize that was possible. The "sensitive" William is forever crying and whining and moping. Gag! The main character comes off as a real goody-goody Dork! My guess is that this has not aged well. Boys in 1985 must have been very different.
Can't believe this was chosen for Battle of the Books

No comments:

Post a Comment